Dean and University Librarian: Alberta Comer
Director of Development: Jesse Whitchurch | (801) 581-7905 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The J. Willard Marriott Library is the flagship academic library for the State of Utah and the primary service hub for students and faculty at the University of Utah. Today, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, 3D printing, and other advanced technologies now join books, journals, and other traditional research materials among the resources that students and faculty rely upon most.
In order to keep up with their changing needs, the library needs to build an interdisciplinary digital productivity space. This type of work has already led to some incredible collaborations, including helping create a prosthetic ear for a four-year-old using 3D printing, mapping global energy production sites in virtual reality for a geology class, and using artificial intelligence and image recognition to detect squamous cell carcinoma, the deadliest form of oral cancer. These projects and countless others are just a tiny sample of the future innovations that the library is facilitating.
The Marriott Library has identified the following funding priorities for the Imagine New Heights campaign:
- Construction of an interdisciplinary digital productivity space: $6 million
- Creation of an endowment to acquire rare collections: $1.5 million
- Addition of an endowment providing equipment, facilities, updates, and other ongoing support for students’ greatest needs: $1.5 million
- Programming support for Book Arts education and training
- Establishment of a fund for visiting scholars to engage in research and scholarship in the Marriott Library’s Special Collections
- Addition of student fellowships at the University Press